Master’s Programme in Opera Stage Directing
The course offers cultural and professional skills and the essential knowledge and exposure needed as a Stage Director in the field of Opera.
The course is structured thus:
- Stage direction and its practical application
- Masterclasses, workshops practical stage direction with young singers
- Internships and assistantships in Italian theatres and theatres abroad
- Interaction with concurrent courses of the Academy
- The use of new technologies for digital design and video installations
- Workshops and internships in Italian and theatres abroad: Arena di Verona, Teatro alla Scala, Teatro Regio di Parma, Opera di Firenze, Teatro La Fenice di Venezia, Rossini Opera Festival di Pesaro, Sferisterio di Macerata, Festival Puccini Torre del Lago, Teatro Real di Madrid, Teatro de la Zaruzela, Teatro Grande di Brescia, Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, Teatro Regio di Torino, Festival di Aix en Provence and others.
Workshops and Masterclasses
Organized within the frame of ENOA (European Network of Opera Academies) and with internationally renowned teachers.
Gianfranco De Bosio e Lorenzo Mariani
A Post-graduate Diploma “Opera Stage Directing” given by the Conservatory of Music and the Accademia di Belle Arti of Verona
Conservatory of Verona (Casa Boggian).
A limited number of applicants will be admitted. The applicants must have successfully completed one of the following diplomas or degrees:
- a Diploma from the Accademia Nazionale d’Arte Drammatica (with a major in stage direction), 3 or 4 years;
- a Degree in Letters with final dissertation or significant curriculum in the field of music and theatre;
- a Diploma from the Accademia Nazionale di Danza;
- a Diploma from an Academy of Fine Arts (with a major in scenography), 3 or 4 years;
- a Degree in “Arti visive e discipline dello spettacolo” (3 years).
Similar degrees and academic qualifications achieved at foreign institutions will be considered. A complete Curriculum Vitae et studiorum and a completed application form have to be submitted in order to be admitted. Candidates with a different Degree, who have significant training and artistic experiences in the fields of Opera and Stage Directing, will be considered by a board of examiners.
* N. B. Students undertaking courses at the VAO have the possibility to be given credits for previous activities and courses taken at other institutions. To gain these credits a certificate indicating that the student has completed the activity/course is required. The content of such activities must have similar aims and objectives to the programme offered by the VAO and the activities may not be the same as that evaluated as essential for admission into the VAO.