Officina Accademia. Course in Costume Design, Construction and Realisation
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN! DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 16, 2018.
The course aims to develop and equip students in the fields of costume design for Opera, Musical Theatre, Stage, Television and Fashion. It offers students the opportunity to learn how to design and create fashion sketches and fashion story boards – the relationship between drawing and design and practical realisation. The course focuses on applicants with a curriculum in Fashion Design, Accessories Design or other disciplines related to the course’s field of study, that wish to develop their professional skills in Costume Design pertaining to the Theatre Industry
- organization during rehearsals and performances
- maintenance of costume
Participants will have the opportunity to create costumes for a theatre productions, fashion shows, or small exhibitions*
*Physical creative output in the form of costumes and accessories will remain property of the Verona Accademia per l’Opera Italiana
- The history and aesthetics of theatre costume design;
- Design and realization. From fashion sketches into costumes and accessories;
- Cutting and sewing techniques (manual sewing techniques, use of sewing machine etc);
- The sewing techniques applied to different historical periods in the realization of an opera or ballet costume;
- Technologies in the application of materials and fabrics (pleating, dyeing, embroidery, etc.);
- The organization and management of tailoring a show on stage (distribution of costumes in the dressing room, quick changes, repairs, upkeep and cleaning);
- Alterations and the sizing of historical costumes;
- Identifying and the making of historical accessories (hats, shoes, jewellery, bags, gloves, etc);
- Techniques in the conservation and maintenance of costumes.
Download the application form and the Study programme Officina Accademia:
Compulsory attendance required for each course is at least 70%, documented by a signed attendance register. If attendance falls into the category of between 58% to 70% for a specific course, the student may ask the lecturer of the course in question to make an assignment to recuperate lost credits.
Opportunities in summer internships in Italian theatres as well as theatres abroad (Teatro Real di Madrid, Teatro della Zarzuela di Madrid, Teatro La Fenice di Venezia, Sartoria Tirelli di Roma, Festival Puccini di Torre del Lago, Teatro Regio di Parma).
International practitioners and experienced teachers:
- Lorena Marin, Costumista teatrale e docente titolare del corso
- Massimo Pieroni, Laboratorio Pieroni Roma
- Anna Biagiotti, Opera di Roma
- Silvia Bonetti, Arena di Verona
- Giulia Zuolo, Teatro Regio di Parma
- Barbara Corradini, teacher of drapery and history of costume
- Carlos Tieppo, costume designer, teacher of tailoring and moulage
- Young students interested in a career in costume design and tailoring for theatre;
- Professional tailors who wish to achieve a specialization in costuming for theatres;
- Professionals employed in the stage, theatre and commercial industry of who wish to specialize in professional tailoring;
- Stage directors and set designers who wish to acquire skills in the field of costume design and tailoring.
The minimum requirement is a secondary school or high school equivalent diploma.
Materials and equipment to be provided by participants
Equipment such as scissors, pins, safety pins, paper and tracing paper, pencils and coloured pencils, measuring tape, sellotape and paint brushes.
Venue and course duration
Verona Accademia per l’Opera Italiana, Stradone San Fermo 28, Verona
Duration: This two years course will offer lessons in the first semester 2018 e 2019 and internships in the second semester 2018 and 2019.
Applications and enrolment
In a first step candidates will be selected with a selection based on their cv and in a second step with an interview with the main teacher of the course.
Fees (for each year) 3.300 VAT included
The course will commence provided a minimum number of at least 8 participants.